Monday 25 May 2009

Under the heat of the Lyme Regis sun



On Sunday, we went to Lyme Regis for the day, we picked a beautiful day! It was the hottest day of the year so far. Unfortunately, we didn't set out as early as we should have done and by the time we arrived (noon), all the car parks were full. Not surprising as they only charge £1 for a whole day! Alan dropped Phoebe and I off whilst he went around and around the car park looking for a space.



As Phoebe and I walked down towards the beach, all we could see where a mass of tents and parasols. As you will have established from my VW campervan post, I am not one for the crowds and the thought of being on the beach surrounded by people everywhere did not appeal!

What we didn't realise, is that the Lyme Regis Fossil Festival was on that day. No wonder it was so crowded!

We looked for somewhere to eat, we had lunch in a tea room at the bottom of the High street.
After lunch, Alan headed off to the beach with Phoebe whilst I had a look around a few shops including Suzie Cole and a Hospice charity shop. I found something in each of those shops.


Suzie Cole was full of real vintage & vintage style items.
Click on the pictures if you wish see in more detail.









About an hour later, I joined Alan and Phoebe on the beach where I then caught up with a bit of reading under the tent and watched Phoebe and Alan play in the sea.


The Lilac and blue beret comes from Suzie Cole and the rose dish from the Hospice Charity shop. Picture was taken in the tent so has a pinky tinge.


Embroidered tablecloth on the right was bought from the Hospice charity shop.



This 1920's book I bought from the Hospice charity shop.



Lyme Regis town rooftops
Photo from: Alan Woollard Photography


Lyme Dream
Photo from: Alan Woollard Photography


Candy coloured beach huts
Photo from: Alan Woollard Photography


Pink door. Lyme is very colourful, buildings and doors have a wonderful array of colours
Photo from: Alan Woollard Photography
More photos of Lyme Regis can be found on Alan's Flickr Photostream (see side bar)

As the afternoon went on, the beach gradually became quieter. At last, I had a view of the sea and coastline instead of tents, parasols, heads and feet.

Phoebe having fun with this huge bouncy ball we bought on the sea front


At last, the crowds have gone.

It was lovely catching up with some reading

BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY
This afternoon there is a hive of activity around the lane and fields surrounding our house. They are collecting the cut grass. The machines are huge and at times struggle to get through the drive between our house and the barn, it requires good driving skills!



The noise is something else when these machines arrive!


Phoebe doing a handstand as one of these machines goes by.


The field in front of our house where the steam train goes by was worked on first


Then they moved to one of the fields next to our back garden
I switfly brought my washing back in as all that cut grass in the air.
I hope that you all had a good bank holiday weekend. If you live in this area, then unfortunately the weather forecast is not good. Heavy rain on it's way with thunderstorm....


A bientôt!


Isabelle x

36 comments:

lilylovekin said...

I know how you feel about crowds. I loved you photo of the beach minus the people. Also your book find, I love anything from the 1920's, the illustrations are great. It looks as if you had a wonderful day overall.

Mandy said...

Oh Isabelle what beautiful photos of Lyme Regis I too hate crowds. Love all the goodies you bought especially the book x

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hello Isabelle
What a difference a week and hot weather makes - we were in Lyme last weekend and the beach was wonderfully clear!
Isn't it a lovely town to visit though? Suzie Cole's shop is my favourite. I love your purchases.
Lovely to hear that you've had a good bank holiday.
Denise x

THISNTHAT said...

Hi, Lyme Regis is a great place. Thanks for the pics. They take me back to our holiday there in 2007 when we rented a chalet (the sort of on the beach, beach hut which you can sleep in) for a week. It was right on the pebbles of Monmouth Beach. Must post some pics of it some time & resurrect the memory!
Lesley X

Floss said...

It sounds great, and you survived the crowds! I love fossils too - did anyone find any? Your own 'finds' are lovely - isn't it wonderful that charity shops still stock such treasures? I'm off to Edinburgh in a few weeks' time and have found wonderful, printable maps of Edinburgh's charity shops on the web - what a good idea!

Tiedupmemories said...

Beautiful photos!Lovely finds too! Thanks for sharing!
Tracy

Pink Feather Paradise said...

What a lovely day you had, and it was a very hot day indeed... the sea breeze must have been refreshing. We didn't get to Cranmore after all... boo hoo!

We ended up doing a mix of the usual bank holiday weekend chores... which I had hoped we wouldn't so that we could all spend some time together as a family but Mr P had a fun time with his friend and then put together some bedrooom furniture so that I can start making our bedroom a little more organised...

Beautiful shop finds, I love the table cloths...

Take care
Alex
x

Lola said...

Lovely photos of Lyme Regis - especially liked the beach huts! Gorgeous colours.
Have a great week!
Nora:)

Les Cotrions said...

Hello Isabelle...you had an interesting week end...crowd apart! I've been to the beach too...it's very hot now more than 30°! This place looks very nice and you bought such lovely items as usual!
Have a nice day!
Warm hugs
Vale

Unknown said...

Lyme Regis is brilliant...and I bought the most fantastic, wool 3 piece pin-stripe suit from that hospice shop when I was last there hunting for fossils...
x Philippa

Lululiz said...

What a wonderful weekend you have had! Lovely, lovely pictures, thank you for those. And those charity shop finds, well, they are just great. The tablecloth is so pretty.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I'm not a fan of crowds either.
Those shops look lovely.
How lovely has the weather been? :)

x

Zita - Mlle Magpie said...

What a weekend for you, Isabelle. Love those beach huts. p.s. I tagged you chez moi, so do pop by :)

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Isabelle,
How funny, we went to Lyme Regis a couple of weeks ago too! (After visiting Bridport and Charmouth) And Suzie Cole's was a must stop for me too! It's a lovely shop, isn't it? (if a little claustrophobic!)
I love the things that you found - particularly the china tray with roses.
(I took a similar photo to your husbands, of the roof tops, so I suspect you took tea in the same cafe that we did as well!)

Enjoy the half term hols,
Niki x

The Hardy Quilters said...

Love the photos of Lyme Regis - my home town. I was born in the house next to the Alexandra Hotel just up from the Langmoor Gardens entrance in Pound Street. I go back as often as I can.

Aniko said...

i love yr photos!!
ciao
Aniko

OhSoVintage said...

What a brilliant post - so much to see and look at. Why does everyone else seem to find such amazing shops? I never do! The beach huts are a lot smarter than the ones where I live (and more colourful, all the ones here are dark green). It looks as though you live in a wonderful place, looking at the photos on the sidebar.
Ruth x

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Isabelle!
What a wonderful place! Your pictures were all delicious looking! eye candy for sure.....and then those pastel beach huts topped the cake! It looks like you have had a wonderful holiday and that Phoebe enjoyed her day too!
Take care, your friend, Laura

Ragged Roses said...

Beautiful photos Isabelle, thank you! Lyme Regis is on my places to visit this summer. Hopefully I'll pick a quiet day as I don't like crowds either! I loved your treasure finds in the shops. sounds like a perfect day.
Lots and lots of rain here today
Kimx

Lola said...

Hi Isabelle,
Thought you might like to know there’s a special, limited offer over at my place!
Hope you’re having a great week too!
Take care,
Nora:)

Anonymous said...

It looks like you had a lovely time - I've never been to Lyme Regis. Your husband's photos are wonderful. He does a fantastic job of capturing the details.

I enjoyed seeing the photos of your garden as well - it looks very serene and lush.

Thank you for sharing with us.

Lisa

debra@dustjacket said...

Oh so loved the pictures, those vintage shops looked great! xx

kelly said...

What a lovely post. The photos are wonderful! I havent been to Lyme Regis in years, must go again. Those little girls ( The Betsy Clark ones) were called "Precious moments" in the US. Im guessing they would have been called the same thing here in the UK. I loved them too and still do.

Clare said...

Sounds like you had a lovely time. That shop looks fab..may need to visit soon! I know what you mean about crowded beaches I can't stand them either. Have a lovely weekend..don't forget the V and H fair on Saturday!

Sonia said...

Congratulations Isabelle,
You are the winner for my Marie Antionette sachet. Please email me your home address at giftshop@ccraftscollectibles.com so I can mail it out to you asap.
Hugs!!
Sonia

koralee said...

Oh wow...you have been busy...love your images...so beautiful as always...love the vintage shops and those adorable beach huts!!!Happy weekend to you!

Bobo Bun said...

Thanks for your lovely comments. Glad you stopped by as your blog is gorgeous. Last post had it all for a wonderful day out. My heart sinks too at the thought of being hemmed in by tons of others.

At the risk of sounding a misery, we bought a VW import from California last year. Drove it down from Newcastle and then the next morning it refused to budge. Needed tons of money spending on it and as we haven't a clue about mechanical stuff, realised the dream was better than the reality for us. So about to sell it.

Lisa

Lucy Bloom said...

Hi Isabelle, thank you for saying hi at the V&H, it was lovely to meet you. Things were a bit frantic and I was in a bit of a daze most of the day. Lovely pics of Suzie Cole's shop, I remember going there a couple of years ago and thinking I had fallen into paradise when I went into her shop. Love your purchases too!
Lucy x

debra@dustjacket said...

Hi there, I've tagged you over at my place, it's any easy one!! xx

Lori said...

that looks like such a beautiful place to visit...your pictures are so lovely...mmm mmm mmm and good shopping too...what could be better!!!

Carole said...

Hi Isabelle,
So love when you take us on your fun filled weekends. The shops, the beach and those cabins are so sweet like candy.
I love British Country Living. I thinks it's better then ours....shhhh don't tell.
Big hugs!
Carole

Doolallysally said...

I think I'd like to spend a day in Lyme Regis, thank you for showing me such a sweet place. I love the location of your home too. I'm quite new to your blog and I'm always curious to know more about blogger's homes. When I saw you live in the country I was more than a little envious! Love Salx

Bleudelavande said...

Hi,
it sounds you had a wonderful weekend, I'm very happy for you!
Love your finds as always!!!
Have a nice week

Harry Harvey said...

Lyme Regis is an excellent place to stay

Just a small piece of advice, if your looking for accommodation in the Lyme Regis, then Take a look at this website, it lists 100s of hotels and bed and breakfasts. I’ve used it lots of times and it always seems to deliver.

mkstudio1@aol.com said...

My husband and I love Lyme Regis.
We come to the UK every year for two weeks in May and rent a cottage in Dorset. I've found many lovely pieces in Susie Cole's shop (the former Pennies). Love having tea at the Bell Cliff and walking through the town to shop. Lovely seafront, friendly bookstore, very sweet children's clothing shop.
The Hix Oyster and Fish House, which opened in 2010, sits on a hill overlooking the harbor.
Many nice towns nearby, including Beer, Branscombe, and Sidmouth (one quite interesting antique shop where I bought a spectacular 1940's tea knife set and rufffled, satin lined case last year). If you keep driving west, the Quay in Topsham (just south of Exeter) is a wonderful antique center.
Happy New Year to all.
Mara in New York

Villblomsten said...

You have many beatifull things on your page :-)
And I also dream about VW caravan :-)
( sorry if my english is not good )
Have a nice day :-)